Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tommy

What a day! And it's only half way over! I can't remember if I've written about Tommy yet. He's is a wonderful man who lives over here now, completely independently with a personal ministry to the Ghanaians. He is from Alabama, and just a wonderful person. I really loved getting to spend the morning with him. I think we're on the same wavelength about a lot of things. He and his wife used to come over here back in the 80s and 90s for longer short-term stints, but after she passed away, he just moved out here. He has his own house out in the town of Nalerigu and his own farm about 15 miles (but about 1 hour) away. He doesn't get any profit from any of his farming; he uses it all as part of his ministry to the people here. He goes to different remote villages to preach and help them however they need. He has really adapted to life and the people here and lives like a local. He also does some maintenance work at the hospital sometimes. He's a wonderful man who is truly living out the Great Commission and the commands to help the poor and needy.

He took us out to several very remote, small villages. We met lots of beautiful, wonderful people. He showed us his farmhouse and his farm land. It was really incredible to be out there just in nature. Hardly anything was man made... a bike or two every once in a while, and our truck, of course. But other than that, just seemingly endless miles of land. Sometimes dotted with houses or villages, but even all of those are made from materials grown right around them. It made me laugh as I thought what a struggle it is for people at home who want to grow or buy or do everything with locally-made or locally-grown and even "organic" products. It really is a different world out here.

As for the rest of the week... Thursday night on call was probably my hardest, but it wasn't even that bad. We just had a woman who was 5 months pregnant who had a placental abruption and the baby died and another lady with a very difficult labor who we had to do a C-section on. Her baby didn't survive either. It was very emotionally draining, and I was very wrouhgt with concern over whether or not I had done the right things for the lady who was 5 months pregnant. Friday at clinic was much less crazy and more smooth than Wednesday was. Somehow, Zsila and I still managed to see 100 patients, but we finished by 4. I got to do another C-section. Then we had several ultrasounds and procedures in the theatre. After that, we went to the Hewitt's house for dinner and a movie. I was so exhausted, but managed to stay awake for most of it.

After that, I attempted to take pictures of the stars and the sky with my camera on my tripod, but mostly it just looks like little white dots in the picture. The sky was absolutely clear and gorgeous, and I love being able to see the stars!

Okay, I think that's all for now! Love to all, and keep up the prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment