Thursday, April 16, 2009

Don't even know where to start

I can't even remember where I left off last time! Wednesday was by far the craziest day I've ever experienced! The hospital and clinic had been on holiday for Good Friday and Easter, so of course the patients needed to make up for it! Boy did they ever... I think around 500 patients were seen in the outpatient clinic just on Wednesday! Zsila and I saw 100 together. By the end of the day, I couldn't talk. My tongue was sticking to the roof of my mouth. Our nurse translators were exhausted. At one point I asked a patient when her "shortneth of bress" gets worse. Dorcas, the nurse I was working with, just stared at me blankly. So we finished seeing patients in the clinic around 6 pm, then we went to the "theatre" to do ultrasounds and procedures. We miraculously finished there around 7 pm - with 13 ultrasounds, 2 D&C's, and who knows how many other procedures. I went home for a quick dinner, then back up with Dr. Dickens for my first C-section! He walked me all the way through it. It was great. He's a great teacher, and very patient! I was just about to start closing the skin when the power went out. This time it stayed out for about 3 minutes. Just when someone went to get a flash light, the lights finally came back on. It was definitely the weirdest time in the OR. Then Dr. Faile did a repair of an incarcerated hernia - which was actually a swollen hernia sac. The hernia itself had reduced. Then one more C/S. Dr. Dickens did that one... it was past midnight. Then I went home, fell asleep, and it rained again!

I cannot believe I only have 3 more days to work here! It's totally strange how your perspective changes about things. The heat doesn't bother me as much any more (though it has cooled down a bit). The things I think are necessary and are luxuries have totally changed. God is so good and continues to reveal Himself in every moment! Love to all!

Psalm 37:3-5 - Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, also trust in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.

1 comment:

  1. hey Jodi,
    how fun to read yoru posts! we miss you and are praying for you. we ate at Thai Stix the other day. wish you could have been there! :)
    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete